Welcome to the #1 Audi RS3 Forum and Audi RS3 community dedicated to Audi RS3 owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Audi RS3 Forum today!

problems with EPC, symptoms, causes, and fix

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
i recently had the current EPC symptoms that most people are getting.
a few different codes can come up, but the one i got was P00AF.
plus the dash light that specifically is for EPC.

if you look it up, it will state:
"What Does the P00AF Code Mean? Diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P00AF stands for “Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Control A Module Performance.” This error code is logged when the powertrain control module (PCM) detects a potential issue with the boost control module."

what does it do to your car?
well, you'll loose all power and it wont accelerate. plus the engine will stutter and your car will be limping. that's why its called "limp mode" cause you'll be limping to the side of the street.
once you get there, you'll turn off the car completely, open your door, then shut it to reset the ecu, and give it about 10 to 15 seconds before you start again. hence move to the side of the road for safety.

you'll notice that the car will start right up but now you have a check engine light.. then you'll want to scan it. mine came up with a bunch of codes related to cam and other sensors. first thing, your car is fine when the EPC light shows up and then does this. the car is doing its job. it saved your car from major issues. so don't keep doing it till you fix the problem.

for now, ill end it here.

ill explain more about how it happens, what is the causes i believe that started mine to act up, and finally the cure to it. im going on day 3 after the fix.
ultimately i had to piece together all the info i had found and made a connection to all of my research to the fix. i have read a lot of other people's experiences and how they have attempted to fix the issue but after sometime later theirs came back. so for me, ill wait a little longer before i can post up my full repair fix. but i will say that after my fix, my car seems to run harder, stronger, and more reactively too.

ill spread out this story over a few weeks or so. ill make this one like a diary even though i have fixed it but in the final testing phase.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP

Staff Team
Reactions
City
socal.
State
CA
Country
United States
What I Drive
2015 s3
Thread Starter #2
going back this issue. i have not replaced anything yet. i have narrowed down the issue to power shortage.

i have other symptoms that show that if I draw too much amperage then the other sensitive systems starts to have faults. but wait, I have a new battery. so why does this happen. well I have been seeing my voltage meter drop too low. at times I can be in the 12.xx voltage range. that tells me that the alternator is the culprit. so I have recently started to shop for an upgraded new alternator.

its now on order.